Makes 10-12 Empanadas
2 lbs. ground beef
1 small white onion
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 a jalapeno pepper w/ seeds for spice
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
3/4 cup tomato paste mixed with 3 Tbsp. water
1 cup Hood® Sour Cream
3 cups flour
1/4 Tsp. salt
1 ½ sticks cold butter, cut in pea size pieces
6-7 Tbsp. cold water
- Get sauté pan hot and brown ground beef. Once browned, strain and set aside.
- Saute onions, peppers, and garlic in the same pan for 3-4 minutes.
- Add browned beef back into pan, and the tomato sauce mixture.
- Cook about 15 minutes on low heat; let cool.
- Fold in the cheese and Hood Sour Cream.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor or with your hands, add butter, flour and salt, and blitz with water until clumpy dough forms. Make a ball of dough with your hands, then chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and cut out using a 3-inch cookie cutter; roll flat.
- Stuff each piece of dough with about 2 Tbsp. of the chili filling.
- Brush the ends with egg wash and crimp closed with a fork. Also brush the top of each with egg wash.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and Hood Sour Cream.